Saturday, July 26, 2014

The (New & Temporary) Bridge to Nowhere

September, 2013

When we first took a hike on the new Bay Bridge bicycle and pedestrian path last September, the old Bay Bridge was completely intact. Empty, but whole.

Not any longer. This is how it looked last weekend. My, that demolition crew certainly has been busy.

It seems that the complete removal of the old structure will take somewhere between three and five years. We plan on watching it go, especially now that I have my new bike(!). Leaving from the house, the outing is about 15 miles round-trip, including the short detour to Arizmendi in Emeryville for pastries (ya pedal it all off, right?).

I wasn't aware that the new Bay Bridge troll (Yup, that's right. Troll. Not "toll". There is nothing new about the toll.) has now been placed in its permanent home on Pier E2 of the new bridge. It cannot be seen while driving, although according to a bridge spokesman, it is "somewhat visible from the bike path."

Hmmm, next time I'm on the path, I've gotta find that baby.

July, 2014

No comments: