Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Little Lettuce That Could


Bronze Arrow lettuce is the big hero of the salad bowl these days. No caterpillars, no bolting, and, unlike the English queens, if you chop off it's head, it simply grows a new one. I have to confess that it is not the most flavorful lettuce, but it tastes waaaay better than anything you can buy.

One seed must have slipped into a crack in the patio during planting and has now formed a lovely little head. A bit redder than most (must be the daily baking it receives), and certainly somewhat lonelier, but it never complains or whimpers.

I'm a bit torn, though. One the one hand, every time I see this little lettuce, I am impressed with its determination and valor. On the other hand, I wonder if it too would re-grow a new head...

No comments: