Saturday, May 5, 2018

Springtime in the Deserts of Oakland


The Heads on Stakes are in bloom. The bright orange-red flower belongs to an expanding peanut cactus (Chamaecereus slivestrii). Pieces of this little guy were given to me (yup, freebies) once upon a time by some generous helper-person at Westbrae Nursery. I took them somewhat reluctantly - just what I didn't need was yet another thing to feed and water. In this case, though, little need to feed, and only requires water every three weeks. So perhaps we will have a satisfying long-term relationship.

The big blooming white jobbie is Echinopsis spps. 'Dominos'. It's supposed to only bloom at night, and only for the one night (perhaps its nickname should be the 'One Night Stand Cactus'?), but this particular one had other ideas. Bloomed for two days. Days, not nights, and then the blossom flopped over and fell off. I'm not complaining. Maybe he'll even call me again?

No comments: