Monday, May 30, 2016

Botanical Wonders Made Easy


I had never heard about the American Horticultural Society (AHS), but when it came to my attention, I quickly signed up.

An AHS membership entitles one (or more, depending on the level of membership) to free entry to an amazing number of botanical gardens, arboretums, public and private(ish) gardens throughout the country. In the west, the variety of gardens is astonishing, as is the dedication of the staff and volunteers who keep these organizations and their collections alive.

Over the past months, I've been burning up that membership card. Often I've dragged along some poor soul who I hope has a slight interest in the botanical. So far, no one has complained, or at least not loudly. But I know better than to press my luck and ask if they want to go birdwatching too.


Day of the Dead
Desert Botanical Garden
Phoenix, AZ

No comments: