Friday, April 22, 2016

Thank Goodness Irene Asked

Hands Up, Don't Shoot
Jackie Houston
Alerted by the New York Times article, my friend Irene asked, "Go to this for me?" This being,  Neighborhoods Coming Together: Quilts Around Oakland, a citywide show of around 100 quilts, all produced by members of the African American Quilt Guild of Oakland. And Oakland being, quite plainly, an important part of the organization's name, as well as the focus of the exhibition.

So sure, of course I would go. I even tried enticing her to fly across the country for a visit and see the show for herself, but, oh well, that didn't happen.

Sadly, I missed the exhibition at City Hall, as well as the one at Laney College. But at least I made it to the show at the Joyce Gordon Gallery.

Oakland, You Are Welcome
Teri Green








Delilah Beasley
Marsha Carter


And what a show it is: a beautiful selection of quilts, featuring familiar landmarks and events, ideas, social movements and political issue, all carefully elaborated and stitched.

The show continues through the end of the month. So if you are around downtown Oakland, I encourage you to stop by. And Irene, "Thank you!"

Joyce Gordon Gallery
406 14th Street
Wed. - Sat.

No comments: