Sunday, December 27, 2015

Plant Splurge #2: Deppea splendens

I took a trip back east to visit my family in September, and brought along with me - in a carry-on bag, mind you - this little Deppea splendens plant  from Annie's Annuals.  An extremely rare and sought after specimen, it is now believed to be extinct in the wild. So very sad.

I gave the little guy to my mom, whose thumb is so green she could probably make a broom stick sprout. Even the metal kind. She also needs another plant even less than I do. But she was happy, and certainly was able to make the little plant happy - it's already bloomed in its original 4" pot. Imagine what it will do once it gets repotted into something bigger.


Photo courtesy of Dr. Janet E. Hawkes

2 comments:

Joan Lawrence said...

The plant is now in a larger pot with soil it likes and has 8 new leaves that are nice and healthy looking. The flowers are pretty well past and since it is gloomy in the Northeast at this time of the year, I don't expect more until March or so. However, it is always fun to see a little baby thrive, especially a gift little baby. Thanks. Love, Mom

Jill said...

Thanks, Mom. Glad you enjoy it!