Monday, February 2, 2015

The Other Lobelia


When the rains end, the plants think it must be spring. And without a single, lonely drop of rain in January (a new record), spring may just be here. Yikes!

Many people have asked me about this little beautiful "lobelia" in the front yard which believes in spring and is beginning to flower. Yes, very blue like a lobelia, but actually not a lobelia at all. 

It's called Lithodora diffusa Grace Ward, an evergreen perennial which rambles along, entirely covered in blue for months and months. Quite drought tolerant, but is much happier with a drink of water every few weeks. 

I'm not the biggest fan of blue flowers, but if something is going to put out for me, year after year, with very little effort on my part, am I really going to care what color it is?

No comments: