Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Poop Sisters

Susan and friend

My friend Susan and I have become regular visitors to Skyline Ranch.  I call it the "poop store" which may be why Susan's husband, Matt, calls us the "Poop Sisters."

Equipped with gloves, shovels, large bags and buckets, we drive (slowly and respectfully, of course) through the complex to a lean-to shed around back and load up. Horse manure and straw. Usually very well composted.  One time it was so hot we thought that the plastic bags might melt and the car blow up. (The obituary would have been a hoot.) And, since it is well composted, it's easy to shovel - almost fluffy, even. And entirely free.

I'm using it to help improve and condition the dense, impenetrable clay muck that is called "soil" at my house. I know it won't be a great all-around fertilizer, but it does seem to aid in breaking up those giant clods. (Gardens Alive! has a helpful overview on using various manures in the garden.)

So if your garden needs a little help from some large furry friends, go visit Skyline Ranch. No need to call first. Just drive slowly. And keep the windows open on the way home.

No comments: