Friday, May 18, 2012

Taking a Shellacking

A few weeks ago, I had to shellac some lampshades. Not my favorite activity: carefully putting down layers and layers of stinky insect secretions with a small brush. And then do it all again. And again.  So, while that's going on, you try and be distracted. Without chemical enhancements. Because all those dead bugs supply plenty, thank you. However, since I'm not in my own work space, the options are limited: the radio, tuned to KQED, the local public radio station.



But I got lucky - Peter  Coyote was being interviewed by Michael Krasny on Forum. Now I've enjoyed listening to Peter Coyote for many years (and, in some instances falling asleep to Mr. Coyote, especially while watching Ken Burn's Prohibition series). And I was enjoying the discussion of his experiences in the '60's, and now, as a Zen Buddhist priest, actor, and roadie for his wife's rock & roll band.  Until he was asked about the Occupy Movement:

A caller named Susan asked,  "I wonder where you place the Occupy Movement in the social change arc?"

Coyote:
"I think the Occupy Movement is the most exciting thing that's happened in the last 35 years. And I think that they've refined a lot of the things that we began....." And he elaborated.

Krasny:
"But what about the people who say that they sympathize with the Occupy Movement but they're concerned about the violence. Or they don't support it any longer because of the violence."

Coyote:  "What violence?"

Krasny:  "Oakland."

Coyote:  "Whe..."

Krasny:  "Property damage."

(Right. So let's do the arithmetic: the Occupy Movement = violence, that is, property damage, not head-bashing. And violence = Oakland. Umkay...).

As I said, I've enjoyed listening to Peter Coyote's voice for a long time. The thoughtful responses he gave to this questioning turned me into a fan.

KQED Forum interview with Peter Coyote

No comments: