Wednesday, July 16, 2025

Trusty, Reliable and Functional

But completely out of date.

Waay, waay, waay back when, when scientific calculators were a necessary tool for graduate school (nope, I never really used much of that year-long study of statistics), I purchased the Sharp EL-509A. If I remember correctly, it wasn't cheap. Or maybe I was just really poor. 


Over the years I continued to use it when I needed to balance the checkbook (as if!) or do the taxes. It always worked. Until the other day, when it just wouldn't turn on. Not being one to give up too very easily, I raided the kitchen drawer (yes, that kitchen drawer. You know the one. Here we're only allowed to have one of those in the kitchen. But in the rest of the house - whew!) and came out with two different batteries for long-dead wristwatches - also on the verge of extinction, according to some. 

At any rate, the real hard work was discovering exactly how to remove the back cover to insert those batteries. Once that was accomplished, it, and I were back in business. That little bugger may be well superseded in this real world - "vintage" according to EBay - but with any luck, it'll just keep computing pi and add up utility bills and receipts for another I'm-not-going-to-tell-you-just-how-many years. 

No comments: