Friday, August 30, 2019

When Life Gives You...

Yes, we do have a lemon tree, so we know what to do about that. But what about all the other stuff that is bursting out of the garden?

Tromboncino Squash & Blossoms









 
The cucumbers? Well, since I planted them for the neighbors and my best guy (although my best guy is out of town this week, so he's no help), I can give many of them away.

The zucchini? Ask first. Apparently it is not politic to drop off zucchini on someone else's front porch without warning. But when I have asked, pretty much everyone has accepted.

And those overlooked items, such as squash blossoms? A delicious luxury, if you are willing to put in the work to turn them into food. Not likely, knowing my neighbors.

So, I have been experimenting with stuffing them with ricotta and tarragon pesto. I don't fry them, but dipping in egg, rolling in bread crumbs and baking at 400° for 10 minutes turns them into a very tasty dinner. As is giving them a rough chop and adding them to nearly-set scrambled eggs (like I said, my best guy is out of town). And tomorrow I will simply let the bees have their way with them.

Luckily, the lemons are still green.

2 comments:

Sue Johnson said...

Really beautiful squash blossoms!

Jill said...

Thank you. And they're quite tasty, too.